I decided to use SlideShowPro Director to manage the content for this site, which saved me having to handle all of the image uploading and resizing etc. It’s also got a great API that I used to integrate the front and backend.
The main problem users had with the old site was that it was extremely slow, so we decided to use a lot of Ajax to reduce the number of HTTP requests, ensuring content was loaded quickly. We also decided to try out Google’s process for making Ajax applications crawlable, which worked brilliantly for Google (as you would expect) but not so good for other search engines. If I were to make any amends to this site it would be to use a standard URL on the link and bind an onclick event to load the content asynchronously. I’d also sprite up the images and combine the scripts!